Place:


Petertavy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Petertavy like this:

TAVY-ST. PETER, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Tavistock district, Devon; on the W border of Dartmoor, 3½ miles NE of Tavistock r. station. Post town, Tavistock. Acres, 3,500. Real property, £3,485; of which £1,465 are in mines. Pop., 469. Houses, 88. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is old. A chapel of ease is at Hillbridge; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Petertavy through time

Petertavy is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Petertavy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Petertavy in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4222

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Petertavy ".