Place:


Caerleon  Monmouthshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Caerleon like this:

Caerleon, town with ry. sta., Llangattock par., S. Monmouthshire, on river Usk, 2½ miles NE. of Newport and 26 miles NW. of Bristol, pop. 1099; P.O., T.O. It was the Isca Silurum of the Romans, and at a later period a celebrated seat of religion and learning. In an adjacent field is an elliptical cavity called Arthur's Round Table, probably the relic of a Roman amphitheatre.

Caerleon through time

Caerleon is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caerleon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caerleon, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/422

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caerleon ".