Place:


Musbury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Musbury like this:

MUSBURY, a village and a parish in Axminster district, Devon. The village stands near the river Axe, 3 miles S W by S of Axminster r. station, 3 N N E of themouth of the Axe, and 4 W of the boundary with Dorset; was anciently called Muchbery; and has a post-office under Axminster, and a fair on the Monday after Michaelmas. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Maidenhayne. Acres, 2, 178. Real property, £3, 866. Pop., 493. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. V. Payne. Ashe belonged to the Drakes; was the birthplace of John Churchill, the great Duke of Marlborough; and is now a farm-house. An ancient British camp, double ditched, and occupying 20 acres, is here, and is in good preservation. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £365. Patron, the Rev. J. V. Payne. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Drakes, and a monument of Judge Grundy.

Musbury through time

Musbury is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Musbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Musbury in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4217

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Musbury ".