Place:


Marytavy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marytavy like this:

MARYTAVY, or TAVY-ST. MARY, a village and a parish in Tavistock district, Devon. The village stands on the river Tavy, near the Tavistock and Launceston railway, on the W side of Dartmoor, amid romantic environ, 4 miles NNE of Tavistock; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Tavistock. ...


The parish contains also the villages of Horndon, LaneHead, and Black-Down. Acres, 4,180. Real property, £3,284; of which £1,161 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,367; in 1861,1,202. Houses, 231. The-decrease of pop. was caused by discontinuance of work in several mines. The manor and most of the land belong to John Buller, Esq. About 2,000 acres are open moor land. Two mines, a copper one, called the Wheal Friendship, and a tin one, called the Wheal Betsy, are in the moors. A remarkable chasm, called Tavy-Cleave, 4 miles long, and overhung by the heights of Dartmoor, is above the village. Marytavy Rock is a curious in sulated crag, covered with lichens and ivy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £224.* Patron, John Buller, Esq. The church is old; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and a national school.

Marytavy through time

Marytavy is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marytavy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marytavy in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4209

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marytavy ".