Place:


Harraton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harraton like this:

HARRATON, a township in Chester-le-Street parish, and a sub-district in Chester-le-Street district, Durham. The township lies on the river Wear, and on the North-eastern railway, 3 miles NE of Chester-le-Street; includes the villages of Chaters-Hough, Fatfield, and Pictree; and forms part of the chapelry of Birtley. ...


Acres, 2,394. Real property, £13,007; of which £7,250 are in mines. Pop., 1,642. Houses, 327. The manor belongs to the Earl of Durham; and has his seat, Lambton Castle, on an eminence adjacent to the Wear. Coal is extensively worked; but some of the coal pits are exhausted. There are a chapel-school of the Established church, and chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. —The sub-district contains Washington parish, and six townships and a chapelry of Chester-le-Street parish. Acres, 16,773. Pop. in 1851,9,822; in 1861, 13,423. Houses, 2,441.

Harraton through time

Harraton is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harraton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harraton, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4208

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harraton ".