Place:


Loxbeare  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Loxbeare like this:

LOXBEAR, a parish in Tiverton district, Devon; 4 miles NW of Tiverton r. station. Post town, Tiverton. Acres, 761. Real property, £1,037. Pop., 126. Houses, 24. The manor was known at the Conquest as Lochebere; was then held by Algar, from the Bishop of Constance, in Normandy; and belongs now to Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £140. * Patron, Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. The church is old, plain, and good; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel.

Loxbeare through time

Loxbeare is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Loxbeare itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Loxbeare in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4202

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Loxbeare ".