Place:


Kentisbury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kentisbury like this:

KENTISBURY, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; 3 miles SE of Combe-Martin, and 9 NE of Barnstaple r. station. It contains the hamlets of Patchole, Ford, and West Kentisbury or Kentisburytown; and its post town is Barnstaple. Acres, 3, 129. Real property, £2, 360. Pop., 385. Houses, 86. ...


The property is subdivided, but belongs chiefly to Earl Fortescue, W. V. Richards, Esq., and Miss Incledon. The manor belonged to the families of Wolfe, Randall, and Beavis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £259.* Patron, the Rev. T. Openshaw. The church is old, and has a tower; but was in a condition in 1866 to require restoration. There is a small endowed school.

Kentisbury through time

Kentisbury is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kentisbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kentisbury in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4192

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kentisbury ".