Place:


Birtley  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birtley like this:

BIRTLEY, a township and a chapelry in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham. The township lies on the Team Valley railway, 5 miles S by E of Gateshead; and has a post office‡ under Fence-Houses, and a r. station. Acres, 1,392. Real property, £11,539,-of which £1,450 are in mines, and £6,500 in iron-works. ...


Pop., 2,246. Houses, 383 The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked; and there is a brine spring. The chapelry was constituted in 1850. Pop., 3,888. Houses, 710. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Chester-le-Street. The church was built in 1848. There are Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels, and a literary institute.

Birtley through time

Birtley is now part of Gateshead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gateshead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birtley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birtley, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4171

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birtley ".