In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willington like this:
WILLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Midland railway, 4½ miles NE of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent, and a r. station. Acres, 1,270. Real property, £2,677. Pop., 477. Houses, 115. The manor belongs to Sir R. Burdett, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, the Corporation of Etwall Hospitaland Repton School. The church is old. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Willington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Willington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willington in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Willington".