Place:


Sutton Scarsdale  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton Scarsdale like this:

SUTTON-CUM-DUCKMANTON, a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby; 4 miles ESE of Chesterfield r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Duckmanton, under Chesterfield. Acres, 4296. Real property, £6,105; of which £150 are in mines. Pop., 507. Houses, 97. The property belongs to W. ...


Arkwright, Esq. S. Hall is Mr. A.'s seat, was built by Earl Scarsdale, and is a fine edifice in the Corinthian style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350.* Patrons, the Trustees of W. Arkwright, Esq. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £5.

Sutton Scarsdale through time

Sutton Scarsdale is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton Scarsdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton Scarsdale in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4147

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton Scarsdale ".