Place:


Eggesford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eggesford like this:

EGGESFORD, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the river Taw, and on the North Devon railway, 2½ miles S of Chnmleigh. It has a station on the railway. Post town, Chumleigh, North Devon. Acres, 2, 500. Real property, £679. Pop., 126. Houses, 26. The property is divided among three. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Chichesters, and belongs now to the Earl of Portsmouth. The old seat of the lords of the manor was near the church, but has completely disappeared; and the present one is within the parish of Wembworthy. The scenery is magnificent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £121.* Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church stands within the Earl of Portsmouth's park; is a small stone edifice, with a tower; and adjoining it is an ancient oratory, containing monuments of the Chichesters. The Eggesford foxhounds are kennelled at Brushford.

Eggesford through time

Eggesford is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eggesford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eggesford in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4143

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eggesford ".