Place:


Dunterton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunterton like this:

DUNTERTON, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; on the river Tamar, 5 miles SE by S of Launceston, and 3½ SSW of Lifton r. station. It contains the hamlet of Eastacott; and its post town is Milton-Abbot, under Tavistock. Acres, 1, 161. Real property, £1, 597. Pop., 181. Houses, 35. ...


The property is all in one estate. A fine waterfall, over a rocky precipice 100 feet high, occurs in a stream flowing to the Tamar. There are two ancient mounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patron, R. G. Paramore, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a handsome tower; and is in good condition. A chantry chapel stood in Chapel-Field; and remains of it were converted into a cow-house.

Dunterton through time

Dunterton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunterton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4142

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunterton ".