Place:


Down St Mary  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Down St Mary like this:

DOWN-ST. MARY, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the river Taw and the North Devon railway, near Morchard-Road r. station, and 6 miles NW of Crediton. Post town, Morchard-Bishop, North Devon. Acres, 2, 229. Real property, £2, 339. Pop., 426. Houses, 90. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to HenrySturt, Esq. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Exeter. Value, £233.* Patron, Rev. W. T. A. Radford. The church is partly Norman; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with a tower.

Down St Mary through time

Down St Mary is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Down St Mary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Down St Mary in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4137

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Down St Mary ".