Place:


Quarndon  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quarndon like this:

QUARNDON, a village and a parish in Belper district, Derbyshire. The village stands 2 miles S W of Duffield r. station, and 3 N N W of Derby; and has a post-office under Derby. The parish comprises 960 acres. Real property, £2, 571. Pop., 496. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to the Dean of Lincoln. Sulphur baths are near the village; and there are several good residences, and some lodging-houses. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110.* Patron, Lord Scarsdale. The church was built in 1790. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £15.

Quarndon through time

Quarndon is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quarndon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quarndon, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4134

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quarndon ".