In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:
NORTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Ecclesall-Bierlow and county of Derby. The village stands 11/3 mile S E of the river Sheaf, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 2½ N of Dronfield, and 4 S by E of Sheffield r. station; is a pleasant place; has a post-office under Sheffield and a good inn; and is a seat ofpetty sessions, and the monthly meeting-place of a local farmers' club. ...
The parish contains also the villages of Norton-Lees, Greenhill, Backmoor, Maugerhay, Hems-worth, and Woodseats. Acres, 4, 330. Real property, £9, 341; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,856; in 1861, 2, 318. Houses, 479. The increase of pop. arose chiefly from the operations of Freehold Land and Building Societies. The property is much sub-divided. The manor, with Norton Hall, belongs to Cammell, Esq. Norton House, the Oaks, Grange House, and Mearsbrook House, are chief residences. The manufacture of scythes, sickles, saw-files, and nails is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, H. Wilson, Esq. The church is large and handsome; has a tower; and contains a tablet to Sir Francis Chantrey, and several other monuments. There are three Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £65 a year, a national school, and considerable charities. Sir Francis Chantrey, Bishop Geoffry Blythe, and Bishop John Blythe were natives.The sub-district contains also the extra-parochial tract of Beauchief-Abbey. Acres, 5, 110. Pop., 440. Houses, 503.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Sheffield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".