Place:


Norton Folgate  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Folgate like this:

NORTON-FOLGATE, an extra-parochial liberty in Whitechapel district, Middlesex: within the metropolis, in the line of Ermine-street, at the end of Bishopsgate-street, 1¼ mile N E of St. Pauls. It took the former part of its name from its situation N of Bishopsgate, and the latter part from the Saxon Foldweg, signifying a "highway, " in allusion to Ermine-street; and the name was formerly written Northern-Foldgate. ...


Acres, 9. Real property, £23, 617. Pop. in 1851, 1, 771; in 1861, 1,873. Houses, 227. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in 1197, by William Brune; and had an income at the dissolution valued at £558. A theatre here was burned in 1839.

The location is that of the Liberty of Norton Folgate, as recorded in our boundary mapping.

Norton Folgate through time

Norton Folgate is now part of Tower Hamlets district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tower Hamlets has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton Folgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Folgate, in Tower Hamlets and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4112

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton Folgate ".