In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alfold like this:
ALFOLD, Aldfold, or Awfold, a parish in the district of Hambledon, and counties of Surrey and Sussex; on the Wey and Arundel canal, 6½ miles SE of Witley r. station, and 8 SSE of Godalming. It has a post office under Horsham. Acres, 2,883. Real property, £1,970. Pop., 535. Houses, 96. Much of the surface is wood land; and little yields any grain but oats. Several French refugees from the massacre on St. Bartholomew's day settled here, and erected a glass manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £205.* Patron, the Rev. L. W. Elliott. The church is Norman.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alfold has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waverley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alfold and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alfold, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alfold".