Place:


Chipstead  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chipstead like this:

CHIPSTEAD, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; on the Brighton railway, 2 miles N of Merstham r. station, and 5 NNE of Reigate. It has a post office under Red Hill. Acres, 2, 333. Real property, £2, 592. Pop., 541. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. Pirbrigght is the seat ofRasch, Esq. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £431.* Patron, Col. Hylton Jolliffe. The church ranges from early Norman to perpendicular English; has a low central tower; stands on a conspicuous site; was recently well restored; and contains mementos of the Stephenses, the eldest daughter of Hooker, author of the "Ecclesiastical Polity, " and Sir Edward Banks, the architect. An endowed school has £70 a year.

Chipstead through time

Chipstead is now part of Reigate and Banstead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Reigate and Banstead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chipstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chipstead, in Reigate and Banstead and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4091

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chipstead ".