Place:


Forden  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forden like this:

FORDEN, a village and a parish in the district and county of Montgomery. The village stands near Offa's dyke, the river Severn, and the Cambrian railway, 3 miles N of Montgomery; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Welshpool, and a r. station. The parish includes also the townships of Ackley, Edderton, Hem, Kilkewydd, Llettygynfarch, Munlyn, Thornbury, Woodlaston, and Wropton; and contains the Montgomery and Pool house of industry. ...


Acres, 5, 270. Real property, £6, 928. Pop., 926. Houses, 145. Cefn-Digoll here was the scene of the final discomfiture of the Welsh in 1294. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £119.* Patrons, the Grocers. Company. A new church was built in 1867, at a cost of £3, 000; and has a detached tower.

Forden through time

Forden is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forden, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4089

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forden ".