In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ewell like this:
EWELL, a village in Epsom district, and a parish partly also in Reigate district, Surrey. The village stands at the head of the Hogs-Mill rivulet, adjacent to both the Croydon and Leatherhead railway and the Wimbledon and Leatherhead railway, 1¾ mile NNE of Epsom; and has stations on the railways, and a post office‡ under Epsom; was formerly a market-town; and still has fairs on 13 May and 29 Oct. ...
The parish includes the liberty of Kingswood. Acres, 4, 221. Real property, £14, 740; of which £35 are in gas-works. Pop., 2, 195. Houses, 427. The property is much subdivided. Ewell House is the seat of the Rev. Sir G. L. Glyn, Bart.; Ewell Grove is the seat of Sir John R. Reid, Bart.; and Ewell Castle, a modern edifice, is the seat of J. Gadesden, Esq. The Hogs-Mill rivulet rises at the intersection of the roads to London and Kingston; runs to the Thames at Kingston; and gives motion, in its course, to several corn and gunpowder mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £277. Patron, the Rev. Sir G. L. Glyn, Bart. The church was built in 1848, at a cost of £5, 600; and is in the decorated English style. The tower of the old church serves now as a cemetery-chapel, and is an edifice of flint and stone. The new church has monuments of Sir Richard Bulkeley, Lord Mayor Sir William Lewen, and Lord Mayor Sir Richard Glyn. The vicarage of Kingswood is a separate benefice. An Independent chapel was built in 1864; a mechanics' institution in 1860; and large national schools in 1861. Charities, £172. Bishop Corbett, of Norwich, was a native.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ewell, in Epsom and Ewell and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ewell ".