Place:


Mellor  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mellor like this:

MELLOR, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands near the river Goyt at the boundary with Cheshire, 1¼ mile ESE of Marple-Bridge r. station, and 6 E by S of Stockport; and has a post office under Stockport. The township comprises 2,352 acres. Real property, £6,947; of which £120 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1,733. Houses, 341. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1838. Pop., 3,373. Houses, 687. The property is much subdivided. There are cotton mills, bleachingworks, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £123. Patron, the Rev. T. M. Freeman. The church stands on a commanding site, with extensive views; and is a very plain building, with an old tower. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and an endowed school with £25 a year.

Mellor through time

Mellor is now part of Stockport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mellor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mellor, in Stockport and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4080

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mellor ".