In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mapleton like this:
MAPPLETON, a village and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The village stands on the river Dove, at the boundary with Stafford, 1¾ mile NW of Ashborne r. station; is a pleasant place; has a post office under Ashborne, a bridge over the Dove, and a good inn; and is a resort of anglers. The parish comprises 778 acres. Real property, £2,202. Pop., 185. Houses, 39. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. G. Johnson, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashborne, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is good; and has a dome, surmounted by an urn. There are alms houses for three widows of clergymen, and some other charities.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mapleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derbyshire Dales. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mapleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mapleton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mapleton".