Place:


Combpyne  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Combpyne like this:

COMB-PYNE, or Coompyne, a parish in-Axminster district, Devon; near the coast, 3 miles W of Lyme-Regis, and 4½ S of Axminster r. station. Post town, Lyme. Acres, 796. Real property, £894. Pop., 118. Houses, 26. The property is divided between two. The manor belonged to the Coffin family; passed to the Pynes and the Knights; and was originally called Comb-Coffin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £127. Patrons, Messrs. Knight, Cuff, and Edwards. The church is ancient; was recently restored; consists of nave and chancel; and has a fine piscina.

Combpyne through time

Combpyne is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Combpyne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Combpyne in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4076

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Combpyne ".