Place:


Kilburn  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilburn like this:

KILBOURNE, a village and a township in Horsley parish, Derby. The village stands adjacent to the Derby, Little Eaton, and Ripley railway, 2¾ miles SW by W of Ripley; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Derby, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and a girls' school. The township comprises 904 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 083; of which £1, 300 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 814; in 1861, 951. Houses, 194. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mines and iron works in adjacent parishes. Coal of excellent quality is worked in the township, near the village. Kilbourne Hall is the seat of H. F. Hunter, Esq.

Kilburn through time

Kilburn is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilburn, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4072

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilburn ".