Place:


Kedleston  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kedleston like this:

KEDLESTON, a parish in Belper district, Derbyshire; on an affluent of the river Derwent, 3¼ miles SW by W of Duffield r. station, and 4 NW of Derby. Post town, Derby. Acres, 950. Real property, £1, 918. Pop., 116. Houses, 19. The property, with Kedleston Hall, be1ongs to Lord Scarsdale. ...


K. Hall was erected in 1765, after designs by Adams; comprises a centre and two pavilions, with connecting corridors; has a frontage of 360 feet, with a portico on pillars 30 feet high; contains a grand hall, 67 feet by 42, with ceiling supported by 20 alabaster columns; contains also a very fine circular saloon, 42 feet in diameter and 55 feet high; has a rich collection of paintings, chiefly by the old masters; and stands in a beautiful park of 700 acres, containing old oaks 24 feet in girth, arches of Constantine, a lake, and a medicinal spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £155.* Patron, Lord Scarsdale. The church is ancient and cruciform; has a Norman door, and a low embattled tower; and contains several ancient and splendid monuments of the Curzons.

Kedleston through time

Kedleston is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kedleston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kedleston, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4071

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kedleston ".