Place:


Coldridge  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coldridge like this:

COLDRIDGE, or Coleridge, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the river Taw and the North Devon railway, near Lapford r. station, 5 miles S of Chumleigh. Post-town, Lapford, under Morchard-Bishop, North Devon. Acres, 3, 670. Real property, £2, 650. Pop., 613. Houses, 122. The property is divided among a few. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £142.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is very ancient; has a tower, commanding a fine view; and contains a beautiful screen, a figure of Edward V. in coloured glass, and an effigies of John Evans of 1514. There is a small chapel for Bible Christians.

Coldridge through time

Coldridge is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coldridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coldridge in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4070

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coldridge ".