Place:


Kirk Ireton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirk Ireton like this:

IRETON (Kirk), a township in Ashborne district, and a parish partly also in Belper district, Derby. The township lies 1½ mile NW of Idridgehay r. station, and 5½ WNW of Belper; and has a post office under Wirksworth. Real property, £3, 182. Pop., 515. Houses, 130.. The parish contains also the township of IretonWood, and comprises 2, 290 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 472. Pop., 671. Houses, 163. The manor belongs to Peter Arkwright, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The Church is partly Norman; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and an endowed school.

Kirk Ireton through time

Kirk Ireton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirk Ireton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirk Ireton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4068

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirk Ireton ".