Place:


Clyst St Mary  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clyst St Mary like this:

CLIST-ST. MARY, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; on the river Clist, 3. miles SSW of Broad-Clist r. station and 3 ESE of Exeter. Post town, Bishops-Clist, under Exeter. Acres, 582. Real property, £1, 540. Pop., 176. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. Winslade House is the seat of H. ...


Porter, Esq. Clist Heath was the scene of Lord Russell's defeat in 1549. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £190.* Patron, the Rev. E. Strong. The church was neatly restored in 1869; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Porters.

Clyst St Mary through time

Clyst St Mary is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clyst St Mary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clyst St Mary in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4067

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clyst St Mary ".