Place:


Butterleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterleigh like this:

BUTTERLEIGH, a parish in Tiverton district, Devon; on the river Exe, 2½ miles S by E of Tiverton, and 3 W by N of Collumpton r. station. It has a post office under Collumpton. Acres, 479. Real property, £922. Pop., 153. Houses, 31. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Courtenays and others; but has been dismembered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £170.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is small, plain, and ancient, with a small tower.

Butterleigh through time

Butterleigh is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butterleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterleigh in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4049

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Butterleigh ".