Place:


Brentor  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brentor like this:

BRENT-TOR, or Brentor, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; on the river Lid, 4 miles N by W of Tavistock r. station. Post Town, Tavistock. Acres, 1,212. Real property, £832. Pop., 128. Houses, 28. The manor belonged formerly to the Abbey of Tavistock; and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. ...


A remarkable eminence here, bearing the same name as the parish, starts abruptly from an elevated down; has an altitude of 1,100 feet; is seen at a great distance; and serves as a mark for vessels entering Plymouth harbour. Its form is conical; its surface, rocky; and its mineral structure, a subject of much discussion among geologists. A mine of manganese was long worked; but has been abandoned. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £60. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church surmounts a precipice on the crown of the Tor; is a curious weather-worn structure, 37 feet by 14½; and is said to have been built by a merchant who, overtaken by a storm at sea, vowed to erect a church on the first point of land he saw.

Brentor through time

Brentor is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brentor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brentor in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4033

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brentor ".