Place:


Bondleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bondleigh like this:

BONDLEIGH, or Bundley, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; on the river Taw, 2 miles NNW of North Tawton, and 4½ WSW of Morchard-Road r. station. Post Town, North Tawton, North Devon. Acres, 1,784. Real property, £1,666. Pop., 279. Houses, 58. The manor belongs to the Earl of Egremont. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £232.* Patron, Heirs of E. of Egremont. The church is ancient, partly Norman, with a lofty square tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians.

Bondleigh through time

Bondleigh is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bondleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bondleigh in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4021

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bondleigh ".