Place:


Tynemouth  Northumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tynemouth like this:

Tynemouth, parl. and mun. bor., par. and township, and watering-place, Northumberland, at N. side of mouth of river Tyne, opposite South Shields, 8 miles NE. of Newcastle and 272 from London by rail - par., 6831 ac., pop. 46,364; township, 1189 ac., pop. 22,548; bor., 4303 ac., pop. 44,118. Tynemouth includes the port of North Shields, and the whole bor. ...


is usually called North Shields. Tynemouth proper, immediately E. of North Shields, is a bathing-place, with a fine sandy beach, baths, aquarium, winter garden, a magnificent stone pier, and a grand parade nearly a mile long. In Saxon times Tynemouth was in great repute as the burial-place of St Oswyn, its patron saint. A monastery was founded in 625, and its ruins are within the walls of the castle. In the castle yard is a lighthouse 79 ft. high, with revolving light (Entrance to the Tyne) 154 ft. above high water and seen 18 miles. Tynemouth has rapidly risen into a large town. It was made a parl. bor. in 1832, and a mun. bor. in 1849. It returns 1 member to Parliament.

Tynemouth through time

Tynemouth is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tynemouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tynemouth, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/400

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tynemouth ".