Place:


South Molton  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described South Molton like this:

Molton, South.-- mun. bor., market town, and par. with ry. sta., Devon, on river Mole, 10½ miles SE. of Barnstaple, 6264 ac., pop. 3340; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. The place derives its name from the river Mole. It was chartered by Elizabeth, and subsequently by Charles II. In coaching days it had an important trade, which has now declined. Woollen mfrs., tanning, malting, and machine-making, are still prosecuted.

South Molton through time

South Molton is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Molton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Molton in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Molton ".