Place:


Deane  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deane like this:

DEANE, a parish in Basingstoke district, Hants; on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, near Oakley r. station, 5½ miles W by S of Basingstoke. Post town, Overton, under Micheldever Station. Acres, 1, 557. Real property, £1, 760. Pop., 135. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor was bought by the famous bishop Wm. Wickham; and passed to the Parrotts, the Fieneses, the Deanes, and the Harwoods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £336. Patron, W. Beach, Esq. The church was rebuilt, in 1830, by W. Bramstone, Esq. of Oakley Hall, at a cost of £7, 000; is a handsome Gothic structure, with a lofty square tower; and contains a three-arched stone screen, and several neat mural monuments.

Deane through time

Deane is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deane itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deane, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3990

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deane ".