In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brook like this:
BROOK, a parish in the Isle of Wight; on the SW coast, 2½ miles WNW of Brixton. Post Town, Brixton, under Newport. Acres, 713. Real property, £1,280. Pop., 156. Houses, 32. The manor belonged formerly to the Bowermans; and belongs now toSeely, Esq. The manor house was built toward the close of last century; and occupies the site of a previous one in which Henry VII. was entertained. The coast includes Brook Chine and Brook Point; at the latter of which are remains of a very curious mass of petrified trees. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £250. Patron, Mrs. Gaze. The church is a very late uninteresting structure, picturesquely situated; and was gutted by fire in December, 1862.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brook has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of the Isle of Wight. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brook and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brook, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brook".