Place:


Morley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morley like this:

MORLEY, a small town, a township, a chapelry, a sub-district, and a wapentake, in W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the Gildersome branch of the Great Northern railway, 4½ miles SW by S of Leeds; carries on woollen manufacture, and some trade in connexion with mines; is governed by a board of surveyors; and has a post office ‡ under Leeds, a railway station, a mechanics' institute, public reading-rooms, a church, four dissenting chapels, a national school used also as a chapel of ease, and another national school.-The township contains also the hamlets of Bruntcliffe-Thorne, Stump-Cross, FourLane-Ends, and Howley-Hall, and is in Batley parish. ...


Acres, 2,698. Real property, £16,986; of which £2,562 are in mines, £131 in quarries, and £335 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,4,821; in 1861,6,840. Houses, 1,427. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the woollen trade and of mining operations. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dartmouth. Morley House, Morley Hall, Springfield House, Bank House, and Cross Hall are chief residences.—The chapelry includes also Chur well township, and was constituted in 1832. Acres, 3,186. Real property, £21,410. Pop., 8,404. Houses, 1,746. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Batley. The church stands at Four-Lane-Ends; was built in 1830; is a plain stone structure; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire. A parochial church belonged to Morley before the Norman conquest; became dependent, at a later period, on the church of Batley; was conveyed, in the time of Charles I., by the Earl of Sussex, into the hands of trustees, for the use of Presbyterians; was never restored to the Establishment; and became an Independent chapel. Three Independent chapels, called St. Mary's, Zion, and Rehoboth, are in the chapelry; and one of them was enlarged in 1865.—The sub-district is conterminate with the township, and is in Dewsbury district.-The wapentake is conjoined with Agbrigg, and is noticed in the article AGBRIGG AND MORLEY.

Morley through time

Morley is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/398

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morley ".