Place:


Baconsthorpe  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baconsthorpe like this:

BACONSTHORPE, or Beaconsthorpe, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 4 miles SE by E of Holt, and 15 E by N of Fakenham r. station. It has a post office under Thetford. Acres, 1,360. Real property, £1,968. Pop., 328. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The old hall, built in 1495, retains a central tower, but is otherwise a ruin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value not reported.* Patron, J. T. Mott, Esq. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £5.

Baconsthorpe through time

Baconsthorpe is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baconsthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baconsthorpe in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3976

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baconsthorpe ".