Place:


Deopham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deopham like this:

DEOPHAM, a parish in Forehoe district, Norfolk; 3¼ miles N of Attleborough r. station, and 3¾ W by S of Wymondham. It has a post office, of the name of Deopham-Green, under Wymondham. Acres, 1, 646. Real property, £3, 773. Pop., 483. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. ...


A lime-tree, at Deopham-High-Tree, near a petrifying spring, was described by Evelyn as 48 feet in girth at the ground, 36 feet at ½ a yard above, and 25½ at two yards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £240. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is later English; and its chancel was restored in 1864. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £21.

Deopham through time

Deopham is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deopham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deopham in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3951

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deopham ".