Place:


West Newton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Newton like this:

NEWTON (West), a village and a parish in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk. The village stands 2 miles E by S of Wolverton r. station, and 7 N E by N of Lynn; was recently rebuilt by the Prince of Wales; and has a postal letter-box under Lynn. The parish comprises 1, 230 acres. Real property, £1, 310. Pop., 268. Houses, 51. The manor and most of the land belong to the Prince of Wales. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £178.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is ancient and tolerable.

West Newton through time

West Newton is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Newton in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3936

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Newton ".