Place:


Mulbarton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mulbarton like this:

MULBARTON, a village and a parish in Henstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 1½ mile W of Swainsthorpe r. station, and 5½ S W by S of Norwich; was once a market-town; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Norwich, and a goodinn. The parish comprises 1, 348 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 639. Pop., 525. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Bigods, and belongs now to J. Steward, Esq. Mulbarton Lodge is the seat of Capt. E. H. W. Bellairs. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Keningham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £606.* Patron, J. Steward, Esq. The church was built about 1280; is a fine flint structure; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a monument to Sir E. Rich. Chief Justice Richardson was anative, and his father was rector.

Mulbarton through time

Mulbarton is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mulbarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mulbarton in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3934

Date accessed: 21st January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mulbarton ".