Place:


West Meon  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Meon like this:

MEON (WEST), a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Droxford district, Hants. The village stands 7 miles NE of Bishops-Waltham r. station, and 7 W of Petersfield; and has a post office‡ under Petersfield. The parish contains also the hamlet of Woodlands. Acres, 3,728. Real property, £4,582. ...


Pop., 842. Houses, 191. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. P. and Mrs. Aubertin. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Privett, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £868.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1844-6, at a cost of £12,000; is in the early English style; and has painted windows, and an embattled tower. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 13,709. Pop., 2,177. Houses, 447.

West Meon through time

West Meon is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Meon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Meon, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3933

Date accessed: 20th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Meon ".