Place:


Bishopstoke  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopstoke like this:

BISHOPSTOKE, a village and a parish in Winchester district, Hants. The village stands on the river Itchen, about a mile E of a station of its own name on the Southwestern railway, whence the branches go off toward Gosport and Salisbury, and 6½ miles NNE of Southampton. It is large and well built; includes a spacious cheese-market, a square enclosure with sheds and stores, constructed in 1852; and has a post office‡ under Winchester. ...


A hotel, with posting establishment, adjoins the railway station. The parish comprises 3,360 acres. Real property, £6,342. Pop., 1,390. Houses, 281. The property is divided among a few. The manor was held, in the time of Edward VI., by Bishop Bale. The villa and fine gardens of the Garnier family noticed by Loudon are here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £437.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1825, and has a square tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Bishopstoke through time

Bishopstoke is now part of Eastleigh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eastleigh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopstoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopstoke, in Eastleigh and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3913

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopstoke ".