Place:


Hoveton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoveton like this:

HOVETON-ST. JOHN, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; on the river Bure, 8 miles NE of Norwich r. station. Post town, Hoveton-St. Peter, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 541. Real property, £2, 373. Pop., 285. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. T. G. ...


Blofield. Hoveton House is a mansion of brick, with Grecian pilasters; and stands in a well wooded park. There is a lake of 123 acres. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of HovetonST. Peter, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient but good; has a brick tower; and stands on a rising ground. There are four alms houses.

Hoveton through time

Hoveton is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoveton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoveton in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3908

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoveton ".