Place:


Hockham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hockham like this:

HOCKHAM, a village and a parish in Wayland district, Norfolk. The village stands 3¾ miles NNW of Harling road r. station, and 7 WSW of Attleborough; and has a post office under Thetford, and a fair on Easter Monday. The parish comprises 3, 406 acres. Real property, £3, 443. Pop., 629. ...


Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Hockham Hall, belongs to Henry Partridge, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £276. * Patron, the Rev. J. Spurgin. The present parish formerly formed two parishes, called Great and Little Hockham; and it still is sometimes so called. Great H. church stands and is good; but Little H. church was demolished after the reign of Richard II. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £38, besides fuel allotments.

Hockham through time

Hockham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hockham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hockham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3907

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hockham ".