Place:


Northington  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northington like this:

NORTHINGTON, a village and a parish in Alresford district, Hants. The village stands 3¾ miles N W of Alresford; has a post-office under Alresford; and gavethe title of Earl to a family now extinct. The parish comprises 1, 580 acres. Real property, £1, 714. Pop., 283. Houses, 54. The property belongs to Lord Ashburton. ...


Grange Park was the seat of the Earls of Northington; is a mansion built by Inigo Jones; and is now the seat of Lord Ashburton. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Swarraton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £1, 500; and has a lofty tower.

Northington through time

Northington is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northington, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3904

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northington ".