Place:


Ashford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashford like this:

ASHFORD, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on the north side of the estuary of the Taw, 2¼ miles NW of Barnstaple r. station. Post Town, Barnstaple. Acres, 359. Real property, £706. Pop., 157. Houses, 31. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1854, and is a neat small edifice, with low square tower and a spire.

Ashford through time

Ashford is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashford in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3898

Date accessed: 10th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashford ".