Place:


Zennor  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Zennor like this:

ZENNOR, a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; on the coast, 4¾ miles SW of St. Ives, and 6½ W by N of St. Ives-Road r. station. Post town, St. Ives, Cornwall. Acres, 4,229. Real property, £2,964. Pop., 933. Houses, 166. The property is much subdivided. Gurnards-Head promontory is on the coast; descends precipitously into deep water; consists of slaty felspar, horn-blende, and greenstone; and seems to have been anciently fortified as a cliff-castle. ...


Zennor cliffs extend nearly ½ a mile in the vicinity of Gurnards-Head; are on the junction-line of slate and granite; and have a romantic aspect. Several baylets, one of them called Porth-Zennor Cove, alternate with small headlands. Tin is mined; and stone is largely quarried and exported. Barrows, a kistvaen, a cromlech, and part of a Druidical circle are on the moors. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £179. Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is good; and there are four dissenting chapels, a ruined chapel of ease, and national schools.

Zennor through time

Zennor is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Zennor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Zennor, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3893

Date accessed: 24th May 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Zennor ".