Place:


Uny Lelant  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uny Lelant like this:

UNY-LELANT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Penzance district, Cornwall. The village stands at the head of St. Ives bay, 1½ mile WSW of Hayle r. station; and has a post-office, designated Lelant, Cornwall, and a fair on 15 Aug. The parish comprises 3,757 acres of land, and 170 of water. ...


Real property, £13,402; of which £10,194 are in mines, and £30 in quarries. Pop., 2,319. Houses, 468. Trevethow is a seat of the Praeds; and Treadreath, of the Hoskinses. Drift sand covers much of the surface towards the sea; and is alleged to have overwhelmed the castle of Theodorick, a king of Cornwall. Trecroben Hill has an altitude of 550 feet, and affords good specimens of schorl rock and schorlaceous granite. The living is a vicarage, united with Towednack, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £441. Patron, the Bishop of E.—The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 12,603. Pop., 8,357. Houses, 1,634.

Uny Lelant through time

Uny Lelant is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uny Lelant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uny Lelant, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3891

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Uny Lelant ".