Place:


Tywardreath  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tywardreath like this:

TYWARDREATH, a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands on a bay of its own name, near Par r. station, 5 miles E by N of St. Austell; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Par Station, and a cattle fair on 10 June. The parish includes part of Par chapelry, and comprises 3,252 acres. ...


Real property, £12,942; of which £5,941 are in mines, and £40 in railways. Pop., 3,379. Houses, 668. The property is divided among a few. Menabilly House is the seat of W. Rashleigh, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Angiers abbey in France, was founded here in 1169 by W. de Cardinham; and was given to the Seymours. A three-ditched camp is at Castle-Dore. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £135.* Patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The church is good; and there are a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, and a national school.

Tywardreath through time

Tywardreath is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tywardreath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tywardreath, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3890

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tywardreath ".