Place:


St Stephen in Brannel  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Stephen in Brannel like this:

STEPHENS (St.)-in-Brannel, a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall; 1½ mile NW of Burngullow r. station, and 4¼ W by N of St. Austell. It has a post-office under St. Austell. Acres, 9,002. Real property, £15,496; of which £3,348 are in mines, £3,286 in quarries, £449 in ironworks, and £797 in railways. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2,711; in 1861, 3,045. Houses, 562. The manor was known at Domesday as Bernel, and belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne. Large quantities of fine china-stone and porcelain-earth are sent hence to Staffordshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £780.* Patron, the Hon. G. M. Fortesene. The church is Norman, with a detached tower. There are national schools and four a1ms-houses.

St Stephen in Brannel through time

St Stephen in Brannel is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Stephen in Brannel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Stephen in Brannel, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3885

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Stephen in Brannel ".